Mandarin replaces minority languages in Inner Mongolia, Tibet, Xinjiang, and elsewhere. Bitter Winter publishes the full text of the document.
by Hu Zimo
Activists in Inner Mongolia, which the local Mongolian-speaking population prefers to call Inner Mongolia, blew the whistle last week on a plan that will be implemented from September 2021 replacing Mongolian with Mandarin as the language taught and used in kindergartens. Although some original ambiguity existed on whether Mongolian would also be kept, as ancillary to Mandarin, local kindergartens clarified that “there will be no Mongolian.”
In fact, this is a general plan affecting all minorities: Tibetans in Tibet, Uyghurs and other Turkic minorities in Xinjiang/East Turkestan, ethnic Koreans, and so on. Bitter Winter can now offer a full English translation of the Ministry of Education’s document, dated July 21, 2021, and published on June 23.
The quickest way to destroy a people and a culture is to kill its language, starting with small children and kindergartens. It is part of Xi Jinping’s great plan of universal “sinicization,” that the victims call “cultural genocide.” The translation of the Ministry of Education’s “Notice” follows.
Notice of the General Office of the Ministry of Education on the Implementation of the “Children’s Homophony” Plan for Putonghua Education for Preschool Children
Letter of the Department of Education and Language (2021) No. 3
The Education Department (Education Commission) and Language Commission of all provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities directly under the Central Government, the Education Bureau and Language Commission of Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps:
In order to thoroughly study and implement the spirit of General Secretary Xi Jinping’s instructions on the national common language education “start from the baby,” fully implement the spirit of the national language conference, focus on ethnic areas and rural areas, and further increase the promotion of the national common language and writing. During the critical period of language learning in the early childhood period, we will focus on strengthening the Mandarin education for preschool children, and play a fundamental role in laying a foundation for life-long development, helping individuals grow and be talented, helping rural rejuvenation, and serving to build a sense of community for the Chinese nation. After research, our ministry has decided to During the “14th Five-Year Plan” period, the “Children’s Language Homophony” program for pre-school children’s Mandarin education will be implemented. The relevant implementation work is hereby notified as follows:
Table of Contents
1. Work goals
Starting from the fall semester of 2021, all kindergartens in ethnic areas and rural areas that have not used the national standard language for childcare activities will use the national standard language for childcare activities to create a good Mandarin education environment for children. During the “14th Five-Year Plan” period, kindergarten teachers in ethnic areas and rural areas will carry out national common language application ability training in batches, basically solving the problem of insufficient national common language education and teaching ability of kindergarten teachers. To enable pre-school children in ethnic areas and rural areas to gradually have the basic ability to communicate in Putonghua, and to lay a good language foundation for entering the compulsory education stage.
2. The basic idea
(1) Adhere to the problem orientation and make breakthroughs in key points. Grasp the development direction of preschool education, focus on the reality of Putonghua education for preschool children in ethnic areas and rural areas, grasp key links, solve outstanding problems, and drive overall progress with key breakthroughs.
(2) Adhere to government leadership and social participation. Give full play to the main body and leading role of government input, actively strive for funding from different channels, give full play to the role of central and local counterpart support mechanisms, widely mobilize social forces to participate, improve Mandarin teaching conditions, and enhance teachers’ national standard language education and teaching level.
(3) Insist on local responsibility and coordinated advancement. Consolidate the main responsibility of the local government, build a working mechanism for the coordinated advancement of the government, schools, industries, and enterprises, and take the strengthening of Mandarin education for preschool children as an important measure to promote educational equity, and serve the construction of a high-quality education system.
(4) Adhere to the law and focus on actual results. Respect children’s physical and mental development and the objective laws of language learning, entertaining and entertaining, and make progress step by step to achieve the goal of children’s understanding and speaking of Mandarin.
3. Key tasks
(1) Strengthen teacher training. Select key kindergarten teachers in ethnic areas and rural areas to carry out demonstration training for Mandarin “seed” teachers, and organize kindergarten teachers who do not meet Mandarin standards and have a poor foundation through centralized training, delivery of training, personalized guidance, synchronous and asynchronous online training, etc. Way to carry out training. Support ethnic areas to strengthen the training of kindergarten teachers, encourage and support localities to incorporate Mandarin training into the “National Training Program” and “Provincial Training Program” and other training programs related to kindergarten teachers in ethnic areas.
(2) Improve the teaching staff. Strictly implement the system for kindergarten teachers to hold teachers’ qualifications and Putonghua grade certificates. Applicants for kindergarten teacher qualifications and newly recruited kindergarten teachers should have their Putonghua level up to the national level 2B and above. In normal colleges and teachers majors that include pre-school education majors or directions, increase the supplementary efforts to train local public-funded normal students for pre-school education majors in ethnic areas, and encourage and guide graduates to return to their ethnic areas to perform employment. Favorably select and send support teachers with strong national common language education and teaching ability to minority areas.
(3) Enriching resources construction. Encourage the development of Mandarin education and teaching resources suitable for teachers in ethnic regions and dialect regions. Make full use of the national digital education resources public service system to provide quality online open courses. Promote the sharing of quality preschool education resources. Promote the construction of “Internet + Putonghua education for preschool children,” improve the facilities and equipment of Putonghua teaching in kindergartens, and carry out joint school networking and the construction and application of digital kindergartens.
(4) Establish a support mechanism. Carry out paired assistance between the east and the west, mobilize qualified eastern provinces to coordinate multiple forces, and carry out kindergarten-to-kindergarten, teacher-to-teacher, and kindergarten-to-kindergarten paired assistance with kindergartens in ethnic areas and rural areas. Encourage demonstration parks and high-quality parks in cities in ethnic minority areas to radiate support for kindergartens and preschool education centers in surrounding rural areas through internships, rotation training, and resource sharing. Give full play to the role of the national language promotion base, especially to guide the teachers and students of related majors in college base organizations to carry out designated assistance to the kindergartens in ethnic areas and rural areas in terms of resource research and development, internship support, teacher training, etc.
(5) Encourage demonstration and guidance. Support Qinghai to carry out preschool children’s Putonghua proficiency improvement actions across the province, and encourage them to explore new ways to improve the Putonghua proficiency of teachers and students in rural and pastoral kindergartens (points) in accordance with the implementation steps of “piloting first, expanding the scope, comprehensively promoting, and consolidating and improving” new method. Continue to summarize the effectiveness and experience of Sichuan Province relying on “one village, one child” to promote the pilot work of “learning Mandarin in preschool,” and explore the experience models and practical cases that can be used for reference and can be promoted.
(6) Create a good environment. Continue to promote the construction of kindergarten language work to meet the standards, strengthen supervision and inspection, and improve the level of kindergarten language work as a whole. Guide grassroots teachers to change their educational concepts and follow the rules of language learning for preschool children. Instruct kindergartens to create a rich Mandarin education environment, focusing on the development of preschool children’s oral language ability in learning Mandarin; use opportunities in daily life and games to encourage children to communicate with adults and peers in Mandarin, and promote children’s natural application process. Understand the language meaning of Mandarin; organize a variety of activities to let children listen more, speak more, want to speak, dare to speak, and have the opportunity to speak Mandarin.
4. Work requirements
(1) Strengthen organization and leadership. Give full play to the advantages of the management system of “party committee leadership, government leadership, language committee coordination, department support, and social participation.” Under the unified leadership of party committees and governments at all levels, local education administrative departments and language work departments should take the lead in establishing and improving working mechanisms. In combination with reality, clarify work objectives, work priorities, department responsibilities and safeguard measures, and mobilize resources from multiple sources to advance collaboratively to ensure effective work.
(2) Increase investment. The Central Special Lottery Public Welfare Fund provides special support for kindergarten teachers’ training in the national common language application ability. All localities should increase investment, provide support in terms of funds, projects, etc., and coordinate the solution of the construction of teaching staff and teaching resources, and the improvement of national common language teaching equipment and facilities. Eastern provinces can include the “Children’s Homophony” program in the scope of counterpart support in the eastern and western regions, and provide key support. Guide social groups, caring enterprises and individual citizens to actively participate.
(3) Strengthen the promotion and summary. All localities should increase publicity for pre-school children’s Mandarin education, strengthen policy interpretation, and increase work awareness and recognition. It is necessary to carry out integrated media language and culture display activities in conjunction with the National Preschool Education Promotion Month, the National Promotion Week for Putonghua Promotion, and important festivals such as “June 1” Children’s Day and Teacher’s Day to create a good learning atmosphere for the national common language. We must pay attention to digging out typical cases, sum up experience and effectiveness, play a demonstrative and leading role, and improve work effectiveness. Please report to our Ministry (Language Application Management Department) in time for the relevant work progress, experience and results in the implementation process.
Office of the Ministry of Education
July 21, 2021